Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Member Spotlight: KitschenSink



This week we would like to put Rowan from KitschenSink in the spotlight!

Name: Rowan
Age: 26
Shop: KitschenSink

What kind of things do you make? Currently I am making Jewellery, but I like to try my hand at anything creative. I start a sewing class soon so I can branch out into purses which I am really excited about! I have already made a few out of actual comics but they are hand sewn and take a long time to make.

How long have you been doing your craft? I have been crafting since I was very small. My Grandma spent a lot of time teaching me how to draw, sew, embroider, decoupage… all I ever wanted for birthdays/Christmas was those Crayola sets or a fashion wheel or something that I could make things with. Luckily that’s what I got (except the Fashion Wheel, but I had a go of a neighbours and in fact you couldn’t get that creative with it).



When did you start selling & what inspired you to start selling? I have been making jewellery since 2004 when I found myself unemployed. I had spotted some really simple earrings in a boutique and was shocked at how much they were charging for them, and thought I could do better. So I started making jewellery and selling it on Ebay and it sold really well in auctions. I had to stop for a while when I started working, then started again about 18 months ago. I sold at craft fairs to see how people liked my work ‘in real life’, it pretty much sold out, and the buyers were asking for my web address. I didn’t have one…. So Etsy here I am!


Is this your full time job? I wish! I work at a university full time and do this at evenings and weekends. I hope one day I own my own shop and can sack off my 9-5!

What are your hobbies? My craft (of course! And it takes up a lot of my time!), hanging out with my closest friends, going to gigs, shopping,...



What is your favourite colour? Green – I love it and I have naturally red hair so it suits me well!

What is your favourite colour combination? To wear myself, I have a thing about mixing leopard print with any bold colour at the moment.

Which colours do you use most in your work? At the moment I am using a lot of black with red, I’m not sure why. But I love using all the colours of the rainbow!! It just depends what I come across to use in my work.


What is your number 1 tip for success? I am new to this game, so I might not be the best to give advice but I found that getting the photography right really helped me gain more hearts, and listing often.

What do you think is the most fun way to promote? I love reading blogs by similar crafters to myself, and being part of teams is really fun as you get to know other people in a similar position to yourself, all around the world!

7 comments:

jenscloset said...

Very cute! Great interview!

Alco Gaz said...

HA HA!! Check you out Rowan!! You're famous!

Jennifer Rose said...

very nice jewellery :D Using Lego is such a good idea

Marilyn said...

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing Rowan!

Julia said...

I am so proud of you Rowan.
Love Julia x x

KitschenSink said...

Thanks for all your comments! x

Paisley Chainsaw said...

great interview, love your stuff kitschensink!

Related Posts with Thumbnails