Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tutorial Tuesday: Guide To Glueing

Tutorial by Tizz from Tizzalicious.

Fingers stuck together, glue all over your work, pieces falling off after wearing them once...I'm sure this sounds familiar to everyone who ever tried to make jewelry or accessories using glue. It sure applied to me a while ago, I hate a passionate hate for glueing, but oh how I wanted to make stud earrings and brooches!

I found the solution though, so here is Tizzalicious' Guide to Glueing, to help you all out too!

Guide To Glueing #1

What you need:

- E6000 glue
- Tappas fork or toothpick.
- The bits & pieces you want to glue together
- Something to protect your desk

Step 1. Break one side of the tapas stick, so you have a nice long, flat, but not too wide stick to work with. If you can't find tapas forks anywhere, simply use you a toothpick. They aren't as nice to hold, because they are smaller, but they will do the trick. If you would like something longer, a skewer or take out chop sticks are a great idea too (Thanks Connie!), I always used them before I discovered the tapas forks.

Step 2. Squeeze your tube of E6000 so you get a nice dollop of glue on your tapas fork/toothpick. Make sure you use E6000 glue, it's the only glue that really works for me. Everything else I tried either soaked through my work (super glue), or simply made my pieces fall apart (super glue & random craft glues).

Guide To Glueing #2
Step 1 & 2


Step 3. Use the tapas fork/toothpick to spread the glue out on your materials. Make sure you do it on both of the sides you want to glue together! Don't use too much glue, but don't use too little either, or else it won't stick.

Guide To Glueing #3
Step 3


Step 4. Wait! Your tube of glue will say how long. I think it is 2 to 10 minutes for E6000. How lonng you have to wait depends on the weather. If it's warm and dry, the glue will dry faster.

Guide To Glueing #4

Guide To Glueing #5
Step 4

Step 5. When the glue is semi dry, but not completely, press the pieces together.

Guide To Glueing #6
Step 5

Step 5. Let dry overnight.

Guide To Glueing #7
Step 6


That's it? Not too bad, right? The trick is to know which glue to use (E6000!) and not squeeze the glue directly on your work, because that just makes things messy.

I have glued plastic, metal and fabric using this method, and it's all very stong. Make sure you don't glue the wrong things together though, because even pulling with pliers won't make them come apart anymore!

If you are unfortunate enough to live in a country that doesn't sell E6000 (like me!), don't fear, it's easy to find on many places online, like on Etsy.

4 comments:

Azra Momin said...

I don't much use glue, but this was very helpful info. Thanks!

Diana Evans said...

this was a great post!!! so is this e6000 glue good? does it hold everything together??

BirdWatching said...

Thank you! I use that glue but I always make a mess! That is a great easy way to do it!

Tizzalicious said...

Diana, it does! It's SO strong!

Related Posts with Thumbnails