Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Member Spotlight: Pulp Sushi



Marilyn from Pulp Sushi helps out a lot with the team, she is on the voting comission, and takes care of our Flickr group. This week the spotlight is on her and her fantastic shop!

Name: Marilyn P. Sushi
Age: 32
Shop: http://pulpsushi.etsy.com

What kind of things do you make? I make jewelry, hair pins, and buttons.

How long have you been doing your craft? I'm a late bloomer, I started in 2002 with marble magnets and poorly attempted to make soaps and candles, that didn't work out so well.

When did you start selling & what inspired you to start selling? My Etsy shop opened June 2006 selling custom made notebooks and marble magnets. The marbles started to appear on rings and earrings and from there I wanted to focus on jewelry.



Is this your full time job? At the moment, yes. I accepted a "buyout" from my employer back in the Summer of 2008 and didn't rush to find another 9 to 5 job.

What are your hobbies? Besides making jewelry? :) I enjoy practicing yoga, writing, reading, watching older movies, photography.

What is your favorite color? My favorite color to wear? Has to be burgundy/maroon/wine colors. I like to wear darker colors. Bright colors unfortunately look strange on me.



What is your favorite color combination? I have a few. You'll see a lot of pink and black but I also like to mix green with other fun colors like pink and purple. Pink overall is such an awesome because it can work with anything and remind you of some kind of candy.

Which colors do you use most in your work? You see a lot of pink and black in my shop but again, it can mixed with other colors like yellow, brown, blue. I'm trying to make more items with less pink. Actually, I've been thinking more about purple and orange lately.

What is your number 1 tip for success? It's weird because I don't exactly consider myself a "success" (yet!) but I think it is important to take your business seriously. It is ok to get frustrated and ask "Why isn't my stuff selling?" BUT don't be public about it. That is a turn off for me when I see other sellers on messageboards complaining about their lack of sales. Sure I get discouraged too but I don't want to be seen as a whiner. I just use that emotion and enegry to hammer out new pieces to be excited about. You MUST be confident about what you make. Don't downplay yourself and what you do.



What do you think is the most fun way to promote? I'm still trying to figure out how to make promoting fun lol! It's hard! I think the most fun way to promote your business is selling in person. As I write this, I have only done one craft show but it was so nice to talk to people and just see people stopping by your table to look and grab a card. I think it helps for people to see your items in person sometimes. Oh! I just thought of another fun way, joining a network or a team of like-minded sellers. There is so much you can learn from others. I joined my first group back in March of 2008 and have gained so much more exposure as the result of team events and blogs. It's good to have a support.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails