Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Member Spotlight: CraftyChick101




Name:  Michele Gallagher
Age: 27
Shop:  Craftychick101: Trendy Accessories That Won't Go Out of Style  http://www.craftychick101.etsy.com

What kind of things do you make?
I make hand wrapped bangle bracelets and earrings for my shop, but I also love to knit scarves and I'm just starting to learn how to make resin jewelry.




How long have you been doing your craft?
I have been making jewelry for over 20 years. I have been making the hand wrapped jewelry on Etsy for a little over a year.

When did you start selling & what inspired you to start selling?
I started making beaded jewelry when I was young, probably around seven or eight years old. My mother worked for my schools Parent/Teacher Association and she told me that they were looking for crafts to sell at the schools holiday fair that year. I made all different necklaces and bracelets and after the fair she told my my crafts were a huge hit. I was so excited that people liked the things that I made enough to buy them and give them as gifts, and after that I knew that someday I would have a business based on the items I create.





Is this your full time job?
No, but I wish it was! I'm hoping to leave my job and craft full time starting in February.

What are your hobbies?

Besides wrapping jewelry and knitting, I like to sew, read, travel (my new husband and I just got back from our 3 week honeymoon in Europe), try different ethnic cuisines and watch movies.





What is your favorite color?

Purple and orange

What is your favorite color combination?
I like blue/brown and pink/green





Which colors do you use most in your work?
Probably green, purple and white. Those colors go well with almost anything.

What is your number one tip for success?
Don't give up. It takes time to grow a business and you have to grow it one piece at a time. Take your time and do right. Make quality pieces that show your talent. If something doesn't sell, find a way to re-vamp it, or find a different avenue to promote it. Just believe in yourself and your work and keep at it!



What do you think is the most fun way to promote?
Twitter. I didn't understand the concept of it at first, but now that I do I find myself on there all of the time. I have a good time and talk to people and it definitely generates an interest in my shop. I would say about 80% of my Etsy sales have been from people I have met on Twitter.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails