Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Member Spotlight - BoutiqueKarma




Name: Tara Hale
Age: 32
Location: Montreal, Canada
Shop: http://www.boutiquekarma.etsy.com


What kind of things do you make?
I love making comfort items - objects that I made myself which I want to share with others: eye pillows, bobo packs (for children's bumps and bruises), coasters, casserole carriers, hot mats, reusable coffee sleeves, mug- huggers, crayon roll ups, etc.




How long have you been doing your craft?
I'm sure many will tell you that they've sewn or created items all their lives. This isn't the case for me. Growing up I remember doing projects with my mother (an avid quilter and seamstress), and then in my teen years I rebelled against it. Then in my twenties I took up knitting and returned to the sewing machine. Since then I've been working hard at learning and growing. I purchased another sewing machine in January which has a million options that I've never even thought of! I'm making it my mission to start doing a little bit of custom embroidery options in my store in the near future.
When did you start selling and what inspired you to start selling?
In 2008 my father was diagnosed with cancer, on my trips to the hospital following his surgery I would knit coffee sleeves for my Tim Horton's drive through cup. I thought it was a fab idea to sell and I had heard of this great venue called Etsy. Well, when I saw what they were selling for I discarded the idea. However, I got the bug for creating and wanting to share my style with others. Since then I've become addicted to creating stuff with gorgeous designer fabrics and have returned to the coffee cuff / sleeve - just using fabric instead.

Is this your full time job?
I would say taking care of my kids and family is my full time job. They keep me busy from sun rise until after sun set. After they go to bed I usually start creating and packaging my deliveries.
What are your hobbies?
I love sewing, I'm learning to quilt and I'm starting to get into soaping (a natural extension from my aromatherapy eye pillows). I also love to read - I always have a book dog eared on my night stand. When I was younger and childless I used to read a new book every few days, now it seems I read a only a couple of pages at night before I fall asleep.




What is your favorite color?
My favorite color is green. I love all the shades of it and how it works with so many other colors. I also look great in green, so that could be part of my love affair with the color.

What is your favorite color combination?
Chocolate brown and turquoise. This is a smashing combination if you ask me - delicious.




Which colors do you use most in your work?
Recently I would say a lot of pinks because of the Valentines day. I think over the course of the past year I've used a rainbow variety of colors.


What is your number one tip for success?
Network. Get yourself out there, and share your work as well as others who inspire you. I think twitter is a fabulous resource for artisans looking to connect.
What do you think is the most fun way to promote?
I love blogging. On my blog I show my own stuff as well as having 'treasury' style themed days where I show other's work as well. It is a fun way to get to discover other artists, while promoting my own blog at the same time. I like to feature members from my teams/guilds (I'm on Artfire and Etsy) within these features. I've tried giveaways and contests and haven't had much success. 

1 comment:

Amu & Pri said...

Beautiful elegant work! i liked the fabric colors & designs!
good Luck !

Related Posts with Thumbnails