Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Member Spotlight: The Mouse Market



Name: Mo Tipton
Age: 29
Location: Columbia, MO
Shop: The Mouse Market (http://www.etsy.com/shop/mousemarket)

What kind of things do you make?
I make 1/12 scale foods and floral arrangements and mini food and flower jewelry, all out of polymer clay. I also create detailed room boxes and miniature scenes, which I may experiment with adding to my shop in the near future.




How long have you been doing your craft?
I have been making miniatures since I was a child, inspired by a beautiful dollhouse my parents made for me, and which was modeled after the tree house from one of my favorite storybooks.





When did you start selling and what inspired you to start selling?
I started selling on Etsy in September of last year, and I was largely encouraged by my fiance to put my miniatures out there for others to enjoy, rather than keeping the fun all to myself :)




Is this your full time job?
Almost. I still work about 5-10 hours per week on freelance graphic design and writing projects, but the miniatures are quickly taking up more and more of my time.



What are your hobbies?
I love to read, and I usually have a stack of overdue library books on my bedside table. I'm also a devoted yoga practitioner. After a long day of sitting at my work table, hunched over miniatures, yoga is a very welcome release.




What is your favorite color?
It changes depending on my mood, to be honest, but I suppose blue always catches my eye.




What is your favorite color combination?
I love a mix of orange, red, and pink. I remember seeing a Moroccan inspired room design in an old issue of Elle Decor and being really dazzled by the bright color palette.




Which colors do you use most in your work?
I would have to say that I use all colors fairly equally. Since I make a wide variety of foods and flowers, I draw on a diverse palette.


What is your number 1 tip for success?
Even if your craft isn't a full-time job yet, treat it as a serious venture. Schedule time to do it regularly, create a welcoming space in which to work, print up some business cards to hand out to anyone and everyone, and set goals.



What do you think is the most fun way to promote?
I spend a great deal of time online listing new items, promoting my work, updating my blog, etc., so I love finding ways to get my work out there that don't involve more time in front of the computer. My favorite way to promote my work, hands down, is participating in craft shows. I have a blast meeting other artists and talking to customers, and there are often various media outlets looking for interesting story ideas. Plus I can usually bring home enough to pay my bills for a few months, giving me more time to spend on my work, so it's an all around win-win.

7 comments:

galoregirl said...

oh these r cute!!!

earlybird said...

oh my goodness! I'm in love! Beautiful creations and wonderful photography! Off to check out your shop and blog :)

AngieHandmade said...

I think these are the cutest miniatures that I've ever seen. And so detailed!

Rachel Beyer said...

Those are SOOO cute! I love food miniatures :)

NoniBam said...

You have great hands ;-)
They make wonderful things!!!

Cecca said...

Interesting interview and lovely miniatures! Those little pink donuts look delicious :-)

Mo said...

Thank you!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails