Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Member Spotlight - BotoDesigns



Name:  Chen Reichert
Age:  26
Location:  New Haven, CT
Shop:  botodesigns.etsy.com

What kind of things do you make?
Japanese inspired robot and plant art, clothing, dolls, stationary and accessories!





How long have you been doing your craft?
I've been making art since I was a little girl. My father is an artist and industrial designer, so growing up in a house filled with art books and creativity inspired me to become an artist as well.

My current venture, Botodesigns, is inspired by my time spent living and working in Japan.



When did you start selling & what inspired you to start selling?
I started selling my work in the summer of 2007 at First Friday in Philadelphia (my hometown). On the first Friday of every month, galleries in Old City are open late and lots of vendors come out to sell their arts and crafts on the street. I only had a few paintings at the time and I wanted to see if they would be well received. I set up a little table with my work and by the end of night I had sold almost everything! My success on First Friday motivated me to open an Etsy shop. I had seen an ad for Etsy in ReadyMade Magazine and thought it would be a great place to start selling my work.



Is this your full time job?
Yes! It has been for about a year now. I decided to make it a full time job when my husband was applying to grad school programs. I knew that we would be moving around a lot for the next few years for his school and work so I figured it was the perfect time to start a career that is mobile.



What are your hobbies?
I love to travel (when I can afford it) whether it's to a another country or a day trip to a near by town, it's always fun to explore new places and meet new people. I also like to read books and graphic novels in my spare time, they are an endless source of inspiration. And another of my favorite pastimes is riding my bike around my neighborhood on a sunny day.



What is your favorite color?
Turquoise



What is your favorite color combination?
Blue and Yellow



Which colors do you use most in your work?
Hmm... it's a close race between blue, pink and green.



What is your number 1 tip for success?
Keep creating, even when sales are down, even when you are feeling down.




What do you think is the most fun way to promote?
Twitter, because it's a fast, easy and FREE way to promote.

2 comments:

MsAnchovy said...

I've always admired the silly happy Boto designs. One of the first shops added to my Etsy favorites.

Botodesigns said...

Thanks MsAnchovy! And thanks for featuring my work Crafting in Color!!

Chen
botodesigns.etsy.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails