Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Member Spotlight - Lucy Blaire Creations



Name: Lucy Bohnsack-Matthews
Age: 27
Location: Catskill, NY
Shop: www.LucyBlaireCreations.etsy.com


What kind of things do you make?
I strive to be able to sew just about everything. For my shop though I focus mostly on small personal accessories, things I my self am obsessed with buying. Business card holders, make up bags, clutches, wristlets... things you can collect and horde on a budget!





How long have you been doing your craft?
I've always KIND OF known how to sew but in 2005 while I was living in Boston after a stream of dead end jobs I knew I needed something more creative and I found an ad for a seamstress so I lied lied lied saying I could sew. I got the job, I'm not sure how I kept it at first but luckily my boss had faith in me and I worked there for a few years making custom draperies. I never focused on sewing before but it just seemed to come naturally to me and now I can't stop.


When did you start selling and what inspired you to start selling?
I started selling things wholesale to boutiques in New York in 2007. My husband and I moved to upstate New York from Boston after I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. My entire family (seriously Aunts, Uncles, Great-Aunts and Uncles, parents, sisters, grandparents, etc etc) lives in the area and it just seemed the right thing to do. After being diagnosed it changed my perspective on life and I knew I had to get myself in gear and begin working towards the life I'd always wanted.



Is this your full time job?
Yes, working on craft "How To" books, magazine articles, my Etsy shop, wholesale orders, I wear a lot of hats!


What are your hobbies?
My hobbies use to be crafting! I'm having a hard time separating the two as of late. If I'm not making something I'm reading or gardening with my husband. We also have obsessions with historic sites and zoos.




What is your favorite color?
YELLOW! I manage to wear it somehow in some way to almost every important event I go too. A woman at a store once told me I looked horrible in yellow, I didn't listen to her though.


What is your favorite color combination?
Right now I'm obsessed with yellow and light gray.




Which colors do you use most in your work?
Ha ha, I'm getting redundant! Yellow, gray, black...


What is your number 1 tip for success?
Persistence. Confidence. Its never you, its always them. (but don't take yourself too seriously!) Just keep trying.


What do you think is the most fun way to promote?
I find the most enjoyable way for me, and the way that seems to ALWAYS work, is just by sparking up conversation where ever you go and always always always have business cards on you! I don't care if I'm at the local grocery store or a random elevator in a strange city I always find a way to mention my business. Also always use your own products, if anyone compliments them, oh here's a business card!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails