Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Member Spotlight - Rycrafty



Name: Rycrafty
Age: 25
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Shop: rycrafty.etsy.com
Blog: rycrafty.com


What kind of things do you make?
I make stitch markers for knitters and crocheters to use while crafting. They're generally used to mark off pattern repeats, or to help make sure you've got the right number of stitches after you've finished each row. If you put one every 20 stitches, it's easier to count to 20 many times than getting to 124, losing count, and having to start again. :)



How long have you been doing your craft?
I've been making stitch markers for a couple years now, but I've been crafting since I could pull myself up to stand at the garbage can in mum's sewing room.


When did you start selling and what inspired you to start selling?
I started selling about two years ago. I had done craft fairs with my mum since I was 8, but stopped once high school hit. I was at a boring job, wishing I could do craft fairs again, when I remembered that I had an Etsy account, and I didn't just have to buy.... I could sell too! Knitting is my hobby of choice, but I knew not to make my hobby my 'job' because then it wouldn't be fun anymore, so I chose something related to knitting, and a craft I'd dabbled in before: using beading skills to make stitch markers!



Is this your full time job?
No, I work in theatre on a contract basis, so it is nice to have that little extra income coming in.

What are your hobbies?
I have tons! I've tried most crafts, and have the supplies to prove it. Right now I am a knitter, knitting is the first hobby that really stuck around for more than just a phase. I own a spinning wheel that I use sporadically, I resisted that one for a while. I've also recently gotten back in to paper crafts, and have been having tons of fun using scrapbooking supplies to make greeting cards. I've always loved paper and stickers and stamps, so it's great to go back to those first crafty roots. I'm planning on doing some craft fairs with my greeting cards pretty soon too!




What is your favorite color?
Green, in all shades, but my favourites are apple green and kelly green.


What is your favorite color combination?
Anything (including green) combined with purple. I think purple looks great with all colours.



Which colors do you use most in your work?
Really, my colour palette changes with the beads I buy, but if I look at the bead collection, I see a lot of blues.

What is your number 1 tip for success?
List something every day! I love making repeatable things for this reason - I don't have to take new pictures of each item, which really frees me up to just relist once something sells. That means I can re-list from work, from a friend's house, even my iPhone.

What do you think is the most fun way to promote?
I book ads on Ravelry, a networking/all-round amazing website for knitters and other fibre artists.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails