Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Member Spotlight - Lampwork by Amy



Name: Amy Hall (used to be Amy Houston but I got married last August!)
Age: 25
Shop: Lampwork by Amy (ahouston.etsy.com)

What kind of things do you make?
Primarily, lampwork glass beads - which I make in a special torch for melting glass. I also make jewelry, which almost always features my own beads.



How long have you been doing your craft?
About 4 years


When did you start selling and what inspired you to start selling?
I started selling maybe a few months in from when I started making beads. I think what inspired me the most to start selling was a desire to be able to better fund my addiction, and to find a home for all the beads that I was making! I have found the online marketplace a very interesting venue and I have learned so much from selling online. I love the idea that my beads are going to places all over North America (and some internationally). I have a big map of the world on my wall and I put a pin in each place that I have sent beads to. It's very cool. I also sell at some local craft shows, but the online market is just so much bigger and I think it has great potential.




Is this your full time job?
No, I work almost full time at a "real job" in healthcare (in a clerical position). I am also a sciences student and finishing up an undergraduate degree (almost done!) Working with glass is a wonderful source of relaxation, as well as a place for me to express my creativity (the other aspects of my life are a bit less creative, and I have a strong need to fulfill that side of myself).

What are your hobbies?
Glass is my main hobby. I am sort of nerdy and enjoy reading and playing video games. I have a dog and love getting outdoors with her. I am also a musician, and I play several instruments, although I don't get much time to do that these days.




What is your favorite color?
My favorite color changes all the time. I love bright, rich, and vibrant colors especially. I think my favorite color right now is a really deep plum sort of purple.

What is your favorite color combination?
I love using the whole rainbow of colors in one piece - red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple.



Which colors do you use most in your work?
Turquoise and bright yellow, lavender purple, bright red, and fuchsia pink. Not all together necessarily :)

What is your number 1 tip for success?
I think you really need to plunge into something head first. I try to list something in my Etsy shop at least once a day, and even if I am not especially feeling creative, I try to get out to my studio several times a week and just see what comes out of it. I try not to lose momentum. And I am always trying to branch out and find new opportunities to get my work seen by new groups of people - I am working to be as active online, in different communities and forums, as I can.


What do you think is the most fun way to promote?
I am really enjoying the Etsy street teams, because there is such a great sense of community that goes along with them.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails