Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Member Spotlight - MandeeFranee Designs



Name: Miranda (MandeeFranee)
Age: 34
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Shop: MandeeFranee Designs (http://www.etsy.com/shop/mandeefranee)

What kind of things do you make?
I make camera accessories called Lens Pets, as well as sock monsters.



How long have you been doing your craft?
I've only been doing this for a few months. I made my very first sock monster ever in April 2010, with my first Lens Pet just about a month later.

When did you start selling and what inspired you to start selling?
I had opened an Etsy shop in November of 09 after being laid off when the scrapbook store where I was working closed. I had no idea what I was going to be putting in it at the time. After making my first sock monster (with one of my son's holey socks) I started getting requests for them. Then a photographer friend asked if I could make a "scrunchie with a face" for her to put on her camera to attract the attention of the children she was photographing. After making my first ones I was overwhelmed with requests for Lens Pets and sock monsters from friends/acquaintances on Facebook. There were so many requests I thought maybe my designs would appeal to a larger audience! I listed my very first Lens Pets on May 25, 2010 and things took off shortly after that!



Is this your full time job?
At the moment, yes. Because the economy in Michigan still stinks, and I have not found another job, I am working my tail off to make sure my shop brings in enough income to pay the bills.

What are your hobbies?
I love photography (nature photography especially) and scrapbooking.



What is your favorite color?
I don't know if I could pick just one, I LOVE bright colors! Usually I answer PINK when someone asks this question, but I also love lime green and turquoise! :)

What is your favorite color combination?
Pink and lime green and turquoise ;)




Which colors do you use most in your work?
Because what I make is specifically intended to catch the eye, I use LOTS of color in my work. Every bright color I can get my hands on!

What is your number 1 tip for success?
Promote, promote, promote... I think I have had the success I have because my name has been all over the internet these last couple months. I started out by posting on blogs/link parties, then I was being mentioned on photography blogs and people's FB pages. I opened my own FB page/blog/Twitter, I've run FB ads... the more I promote the more sales I have. When I do nothing, sales are much slower.

What do you think is the most fun way to promote?
I really like FB and Twitter because I'm able to interact with people there.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails